08 May 2003


Graham update....

NPR this morning said "hundreds of thousands" are expected at Qualcomm Stadium for Billy Graham's appearances over the next 4 days.

But the stadium only holds, maximum, 70,000, I thought....I wondered if I'd gotten the capacity numbers wrong.

But, no, shortly after the NPR reporter confirmed them.

So, a capacity crowd every night times 4 would be 280,000. Technically, then, "hundreds of thousands" is correct, though highly misleading. Some --many?-- of those attendees will be repeats.

It's kinda of the opposite of what the media does for peace demonstrations. Then, they'll call a quarter of a million marchers, "thousands." Here, they make sure they count every head, now and again, 4 times.

And, can you ever imagine the media adding up the numbers of peace demonstrators over a multi-day event, and announcing that as the total number to the public? In your dreams!

The driver of the shuttle I take to work everyday told a passenger this morning that someone he knew had flown into town just to see Graham. "We'll be there tonight!" he said, adding that he's taking off work for it.

Not only do I feel like I'm living in the wrong town, I'm living in the wrong universe.

No comments: